2017. április 21., péntek

Making a plan - Asking "why"



Making a plan is an ordinary task for everyone because there are many fields which require planning. For example, even if we are going to go on holiday; we are planning what we should do, book flights, accommodation and sort out things around us. This is about organisation "how" which is a tool that we need for achieving the goal we have set for ourselves. We do not need to ask ourselves why we want to go because we may dreamt about it, need it, want it and feel it. In other words, we had probably already chosen the location from previous research and/or experience which is in accordance to our personal wishes. 



I have realised that the question of "why" comes naturally in our everyday lives, however, it is not something that is innate, which we were born with. This is according to livescience*, children aged between 2 and 5 years start asking never-ending "why's". They want to explore everything around them and everything is interesting. For adults, it is sometimes difficult to ask, there are many reasons behind the "whys". Therefore, we should ask ourselves; why do I forget to ask myself "why"? 



As a dance teacher and choreographer I have always made plans without realising this, and that this has been a routine and everyday experience for me, in my work. 

For example, practicing the following questions:

·         let's make a list for what I need to do;. 

·         why I want to do it?;

·         what is the reason and what are the benefits?; 

·         where will I perform?;

·         what is the aim of the event?;

·         what is their preference?; and

·         what kind of dance is required? 



Before the "how", there is something else which I need to know and that is "why" I do it? 

What is the aim and then I need to look for the tools of "how"? 

And so on...



Before choosing movements, I have to have a vision about what we want to express. The choreography will be pointless without this preparation. After this, I can think about the framework, how many rehearsals will be required, who will get involved, when and where the rehearsals will take place, thusly this is the organising of "how"?



This is what I have learnt regarding the process of research. I need to be reflective and control myself continuously asking "why" just as a 5 year old child, in order to explore the unknown. 







2 megjegyzés:

  1. Thanks for sharing Barbara, I really enjoyed reading this and it has made me think about the importance of thinking of 'why' we do something. It's a very thoughtful way of thinking through processes of choreography and teaching that also I feel adds more meaning and depth to a piece of work...this blog has really made me reflect on what I do in classes when teaching and why I do it, perhaps my movement choices could work around the word 'WHY' a little more! Why have I chosen that move? Does it convey what I want it to convey?
    Thanks for this, it's got me thinking!

    VálaszTörlés
  2. Thank you Barbara for sharing this. I’m reading as many posts as possible trying to establish some firm ground on which to start module one.
    Usually if I have a super busy week, the subconscious tends to kick in and reflection doesn’t quite take as much place as it should. I’m similar to you with day to day planning such as writing lists, structures, improvising and choreographing material to teach in class or start dance projects with, all in such a short space of time. Since I’ve started MAPP, my thinking has changed for the better and I will take on board your suggestions above.
    Remaining conscious/present and adapting our thought processes to stand up to our busy schedules is as important as remaining conscious enough to empty the mind through rest and relaxation whenever possible. It gives us renewed head space for further creativity.

    VálaszTörlés